A trip out on Kingfisher.

Mal Thomas

With a changeable forecast we had a few alternative plans, hide or run deep, run deep won, we really like that unknown catch element. The sea was moderate with a forecast to reduce and it did. It turned out to be a calm day at Sea with limited visibility all day, the Needles were not always there, similarly Old Harry. Inshore mackerel were elusive, but we had some on anchor, just enough for the day, plus frozen for chopping up and feeding at the stand. The day was even longer than my last at 14 hours, but every minute was nearly enjoyable.

On this mark, on two visits, I have been beaten up by something very large, that was the not so enjoyable bit. Both times it has bitten through immediately or swipe through 80lb hook length way up the trace. New hook length 130lb, and if it is what I think it might be, I will drop a wire down for good measure as well on the next visit. Dropped the anchor down about 8.00am, we had a bit of flood and all the Ebb before we headed back to port. We have never seen so many 12 inch congers, we moved 500yards and left them behind. The witching hour was upon us and the rod tips did not disappoint, plenty of fish including Blondes up to small doubles, Tope and a good Bull Huss of 10lb. We really need to keep an accurate tally, we had plenty of sport all day and all fish returned except for the mackerel. A good smooth run in followed by a good wash down and a pint of Guinness to end a great day with my good buddy.