Out from Tucton on friday

Gummage

A young lad, a friend of my son, fell in to crew for me on Friday. The mid day low tide made Tucton look an attractive option. Launch costs are reasonable, £7.50 for 12 hrs parking and ditto for the trailer. I was warned about the slip drop off but it was a very easy launch and retrieve for me and the newbie.   

Weather was superb to start with. Forecast to blow up a bit in the evening. The most satisfaction I got from the day was letting the young’un drive the boat. First following the intricate buoyage in the harbour and then running on compass settings on th open water. He did well !

Mackerel ! They are shy blighters this year, aren’t they? I spoke to otheranglers who were all of this opinion.  The conditions produced  0.8 knot drifts over the ledge. We did this for few hrs with lures and baits. One bream gentlemen, this is a eulogy to just one bream.!

At mid day I chucked an fender over by way of a man overboard exercise for my novice. I asked him to judge the wind direction. “What wind” came the reply, which was fair enough. He retrieved the virtual victim , no problem. I was impressed. About 4.00 pm things started to change. We ran inshore to try for plaice but the wind, as forecast and accompanying chop put paid to that.

Final thought ? It was about the boating in good company , not the fishing.