-
Posts
976 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
29
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Events
Gallery
Everything posted by Oli
-
As a few of you know, since purchasing the Arvor 250, we've occasionally had a problem whereby water runs inside to the cabin and collects on the cabin floor. Needless to say the first time this happened, on our maiden voyage, we were more than a little alarmed, however with time we realised that this is only an intermittent problem, and only occurs when we have rough weather, suggesting the hole or crack is above the waterline. The boat is still under warranty, but we have to find the hole to get it fixed - so my question is how? We have around a year left on the warranty, so intended on having a boat surveyor to give her a checkup before that expired so we could get any problems fixed, but having never used one before - are unsure if this is the sort of thing they would look for? As recommended by the supplier, Essex Boatyards, we have run a hose all over the bow (where the water seems to enter) and found that the bow porthole was leaking and of course thought we'd solved the problem by sealing this shut with silicone. It was only months later when we went out in rough weather again that we realised this hadn't cured the problem. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon, as it's pretty unnerving when water starts seaping in mid-channel! Thanks all in advance. Oli
-
Happy birthday Martin. Oli and Nick
-
Absolutely, and the two work very well together, I have a virtually identical unit (the M121) and the set up was very straightforward - as he said, just plug and play (once we'd managed to get the cable through the cabin roof!).
-
We purchased the Northstar BB radar last May and I must say, though we haven't been out on the boat nearly as much as intended over the last year, my experience of it has been fantastic. The detail at close range is brilliant - it can pick out birds on the water and all sorts. Like a few have said, we weren't so much interested in whether there was a container ship 15 miles away as we were if there was a pratt in a sunseeker two miles off heading straight for us at 25 knots. Having had the fog come in very quickly before with the Condor bearing down I know it can be a very scary situation and with the annual Alderney trip and plans to spend more time mid-channel we were set that we would need some sort of radar system. I would thoroughly recommend the one we went for. The GPS overlay is great too and has many excellent uses
-
Sweet Chariot definitely keen! Oli
-
What you get up to in private is none of my business
-
Hi all, Just to make you aware, Mark's B&B (The Fishermen's Rest) is now free for the weekend of the intended trip as due to us being unavailable. If you're looking for somewhere on the island to stay - you can't get better than here! Fingers crossed for a weather window a fortnight after. Oli
-
don't get gutted - worst case is that the weather is brilliant, the fishing fantastic and you have to read a whole lot of stunning catch reports...........but of course it won't happen like that. Thanks Duncan, that's made me feel loads better - what an absolute treat!! Adam, that sounds great. Pretty much any other date suits me. I may try and leave the groom in Berlin on the stag do, but if that fails then we'll definitely have to miss the weekend of the 14th. I see Fri 29th April is now the Royal wedding so that's now a Bank holiday for all too
-
I just don't believe it. Having checked the dates again, having even pencilled in with Mark at Alderney angling - we are (for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!) going to be scuppered by a wedding on the 14th! Unfortunately, this one I definitely can't get out of as I'm an usher. What is it with all these people getting married? Absolutely gutted! So, that now said, ANY other dates would suit Sweet Chariot down to the ground (keeping everything crossed). Oli
-
1. Mrs Sea Greg + Crew TBC 2. Alfresco, Charlie Sam and Dan + crew TBC 3. Quest II Tom, Chris + 1 0r 2 TBC 4. Awol Martin, Dean + 1 TBC 5. Wight Magic , Dave + crew TBC 6. Phaeton, Duncan + crew tbc 7. Serenity + crew TBC 8. Abode Craig + 1 or 2 crew TBC I Hope 9. Rosie One John + 1 or 2 crew TBC 10. Sweet Chariot - Oli, Nick, Tim, Duncan Bring it on!
-
Just been through them all, what a brilliant trip Tom, I'd love to go on an adventure like that one day. She looks a beauty of a boat...
-
Hi Charlie, if we do come we'll do as Dave does and fish Saturday to return Saturday evening... Thanks for the offer Dave, I'll keep you posted re buddying... Oli
-
Hi Charlie, We're still unsure, as may have a commitment back home however if we do go, it would just be for a day trip on the Saturday... Oli
-
1) Adam F 2) Alun J 3) Charlie C 4} Dan C 5) Will S 6) Gordon M 7) Neal S 8) John Y 9) Dave Evans 10) Terry Bartell 11) Bobi F 12) Colin F 13) Jackie 14) Craig 15] Ben 16) Graham (Little Sal) 17) Pete snr 18) Dave H-H 19}Nigel Allen 20) Oli Maingay
-
Hi Charlie, What are your plans for the Sat/Sun? I'm going to be down and back with a vengeance after last weekend's disappointing result. Oli
-
Don't worry Adam, we'll be keeping an eye on her for you...
-
Stunning guys, I'm green with envy
-
We've just fitted the Northstar BR24 broadband which is identical and it is stunning. I can pick up birds on the water, pot buoys and god knows what else. From research prior to purchase, it is excellent for closer range work and blows traditional radar out of the water under about 8nm, working above that I believe the traditional type starts to give clearer readings... Oli
-
Get on with it Tom we're all desperate to hear!!!!!!!
-
I did Electrical Engineering. Nothing like a bit of danger to spice up uni life, if there's no risk of burglary/mugging/death it's not much of a night out in my book... Though it now all seems a bit tame compared to the night out I had on a stag in Sarajevo on Sunday - that really was deadly! Yep keep the weather the same and roll on the starfish.
-
I had many a house in Lenton, Gloucester Ave, Rothesay Ave, Harrington Drive and one other... Only left 2 years ago but miss it like mad sometimes! Maybe time for a PhD me thinks!
-
Ahhhh good stuff, I had 5 excellent years there... Was in Cripps Hall
-
Great fish Dan, I'd love to see one of those board Sweet Chariot... Are you at Nottingham uni?
-
Have fun guys and catch plenty of fish! gits.
-
Weather's looking great, fingers crossed it holds - we're so jealous! Fingers crossed for an ash cloud to close Stansted then we're coming too!
