Jump to content

Graham Nash

Committee
  • Posts

    624
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    50

Everything posted by Graham Nash

  1. Ive had one of those for a few years now and used it a few times on my big old citroen relay van in minus 10deg and it worked an absolute treat. I also have one of the big old heavy ones too, with a 240V and 12V outputs too that I carry with me on the boat in case of emergencies (which I was hoping to leave at home with this second battery). I suppose I could just carry the NOCO one instead?
  2. I bought mine from mike at poole sea angling down the high street.
  3. thats worth more than 2p surely?
  4. That's sort of what I want, but it would seem the cable length and grade is more important than I had assumed. Do you know the length and size of the cable you use between the battery and switch/engine?
  5. mine is a physical switch, to switch between battery 1 (main), battery 2 (aux) and both like Terry, and the set up i'm considering is virtually the same as he had. It can use either battery (or both) depending on the switch position. So, unless the main battery died completely, the aux would (in my tiny mind) only be used to give it a bit of a kick to help start the engine? Where was your aux battery Brian?
  6. Thanks everyone. Im not sure what to do now πŸ˜• .... I wanted the leisure battery up front to keep weight off the back, and i always carry a battery jumper anyway .... but it does seem counter productive if i cant rely on the aux battery in the case of an emergency. Ill look to see if there is anywhere at the rear that I can fit it.
  7. Thank you Mark. Looking at their voltage drop calculator online and checking the alternator spec of my engine it would seem that a 12v 20A alterator charge over 5 met of 16mm cable should be well within tolerance. Unless anyone knows otherwise?
  8. Im in the process of adding some bits and bobs to the electrics on my boat and one of the additions is a second battery. Ive fitted the switch and wired in the main battery to terminal "1," the engine and accessories to "common" and am intending on connecting the leisure battery to terminal "2". All pretty straight forward so far. The preferred location for the leisure battery is towards the front of the boat, in a small locker. This would require 5M of 16mm (110amp) cable between the switch and the battery (with very similar for the earth). Once again, this (in my tiny mind) seems perfectly fine. However, reading electrical questions on other forums, there are lots of advisers saying that the voltage drop on 5M will be too much???? And it'll put a strain on the engine alternator or it'll not enable charging of the second battery due to the length of the cable! This is obviously Facebook replies, which we all know can range anything between truth and absolute rubbish ..... so, what do the REAL experts say? Over to you. (and thanks). Graham
  9. I agree, reference the show and the chandlery. Plenty of Champaign palaces but very little for the "normal" guy. (although the Louisiana Chicken food was nice) πŸ˜‰
  10. he's actually really excited. He's booked his level 2 and VHF course for him, his wife and his 15 year old. He's bought a ringo, wet suits, paddle boards and life vests all round. Id guess he'll use it a couple of times this year then probably it'll be put on the stack at Portland until the sun comes out again next year. To be honest, he wanted something along the lines of Martins, but his missus and kids didn't. And for once he actually listened to them. But the choice at the boat show was very limited.
  11. Well, I was at the show yesterday with my son (who had a 2.5 million pound bonus burning a hole in his pocket). Remember, hes never had a boat, hes never wanted a boat and until 3 weeks ago had never been out on a pleasure boat! He has 3 very adventurous kids who want to fish, paddle board, ski and swim. He wanted a boat and didnt care what it was. My idea was to show him various smallish boats boats with small cabins and plenty of deck space for the kids activities. He and his wife/kids could then get their ideas and scour the adverts and find the right deal. As we entered the show, the kids checked out some RIBS and they were all excited, He wasnt so excited. He looked at antares 9 with twin 250HP engines for about 3-400k ... he was excited but the kids weren't so impressed. The choice of smaller boats between 30-80 grand was very very limited, with orkney, warrior and a couple of others being about it. There were plenty of plastic tubs for 25-35k or ultra modern at 250k upwards, but i didnt see anything that i had hoped to show him. His missus was listening to the kids, she showed them a Robalo 180, 18ft walk around with loads of space, 115hp motor and loads of rod holders for 55K!!!! The kids loved it (i must be honest I quite liked it too, although massively over my budget) He conceded, did a deal and bought it. I actually think it was a much more sensible boat than what he was intending, especially with the cost of fuel at the moment. (Although id have been scouring the for sale adverts for a used one rather than brand new myself, but then, I didnt get a 2.5M bonus this year (nor any year). The show was "OK", but i just wondered where the cost of living crisis is when you see such opulence. A long long way out of my price range.
  12. I'll be there today ..... Ill let you know what I thought later.
  13. The club received this email from the SSE. I'm assuming this isn't of concern to any members, but Im passing it on as requested. "Ref: Recreational sea angling taking place around the railway bridge at Rockley - Poole Bay Small Boats Angling Club Good evening, Firstly I apologise for the timing of my email in the evening. I write on behalf of SEPD - we have been given this contact as the contact of the Poole Bay Small Boats Angling Club. Simply put, we have had a number of incidents of recreational fishers casting over the 132,000 volt electric lines supported by the pylons/towers. You will appreciate the enormous risk this creates to those individuals and it also puts, carefully engineered supply conductors, and the wider electrical network at risk due to the risk of a fault. We are not aware of the individuals, but a number of call outs have been required to remove fishing line from the electrical lines. We would ask you to make your members aware of the risks they are putting themselves at if they are undertaking the type of casting in question. There is also the electrical network to consider as these lines supply many properties – we do not want anyone to get seriously injured or killed as a result of a simply oversight on personal safety. Thank you for your time on the matter. And happy fishing (hopefully not near the overhead electrical lines). Many thanks Anthony Gordon Wayleaves/Consents Lead – Regional Assets and Minor Connections Telephone No - Office: 01738 340847 Mobile: 07767 850474 Email: [email protected]"
  14. I hope this is the end to your woes Charlie .... Now go get them sharks!!
  15. anyway, we digressed again .... https://www.southamptonboatshow.com/
  16. Yes Jim, something along those lines
  17. He doesnt do "fishing" so he will be more interested in sitting in the cabin (or deck) sipping fizzy stuff, while his kids swim or paddleboard around. Personally id prefer the fishing/sport style, but a bigger cabin suits his needs better.
  18. your file has been updated Martin. Let me know if it changes.
  19. 2022 695 series 2 with 150 outboard with a mooring at Portland. Im trying to get him to wait till he's been to the boatshow but he's being unusually impulsive.
  20. Hes seen something he likes .... a merry fisher 695 and just watsapped me this today without any prompting from me ..... "The thing we should discuss is how much do you think you would use it if I bought it and it was moored at Portland Marina Would it give you more options for deeper sea fishing Or days out with kids Than the Orkney" I replied .... Id love to take it to the middle of the channel wrecks or alderney etc, but its far too good for what I do. You dont want fish guts on that sparkling deck!
  21. Email your details to me at [email protected] and ill add the details to your file ..... same for anyone else.
  22. Ill mention that to him πŸ˜‰
  23. I wonder if he'll let his old dad use it occasionally πŸ€”
  24. So, My son has now decided that he wants a boat (after having a day in Weymouth bay yesterday). He has been watching "you tube" videos all day of Parker 790's and wants to see one in the flesh. Ill now be missing the football πŸ˜—and going on Saturday 19th.
  25. Ive created a page with the emergency procedure clearly written. Ill get it laminated and itll have a position on the boat too.
×
×
  • Create New...